Every sinner who is saved is saved by the grace of God. No one can earn salvation because no one has done anything to deserve salvation! When Rev. Alistair Begg,…
- ConsequencesDisobedienceEternal LifeEternityForgivenessGod's WillGood NewsGospelGraceMercyPerfectRighteousnessSalvationSinSinful NatureWorks
Millions of people – perhaps billions – believe they can win God’s approval and earn eternal life by “being good” – even if they’ve “been bad” in the past. Their…
- CompassionConsequencesDeathEvilExecutionGod (Nature Of)GraceInjusticeKillLoveMercyMistakeMurder
Look, we’ve all dozed off during meetings here and there. It’s just a liability of being human. We’ve probably fallen asleep in class and even in church, too. No biggie, just a bit embarrassing.
But falling asleep during a meeting in North Korea has huge consequences. It can get you killed.
- C. S. LewisConfessionConversionGod's LoveGraceJesusLoveMercyProdigalProdigalReasonRepentSalvationSavedTestimonyTransformation
Do you remember your conversion experience – the moment you realized your need of a Savior and committed your life to Him? Were you in a church? At a spiritual retreat? Among close friends? Were you overjoyed? Grateful? At peace?
Regardless of the circumstances, your conversion was probably nothing like that of C. S. Lewis.
- BibleChristiansForgivenessGod's WordGraceJesus' TeachingJudgingMercyParablePerfectSelf-RighteousStories
In Revelation 22:18-19, the Apostle John gives a stern warning about changing his writings; it’s the “go-to” passage about altering God’s Word. Though preaching professor Dr. Fred Craddock was familiar with this passage, it still didn’t stop him from “tweaking” one of Jesus’ stories to make a point.
It proved to be a memorable experience….
- AfricaCivil WarForgivenessGenocideGraceKillMercyMurderPeaceReconciliationTestimonyViolenceWar
How would you respond if someone asked you to describe reconciliation? What sort of picture would you paint? Would you talk about forgiveness? Granting pardon? Showing mercy after wrongs were committed?
Or would you just point to these pictures taken in Africa?
- BeliefsChristianityChristiansChurchEmperorFree WillGod's WillGovernmentGraceHistoryJudgmentKillLoveMercyMurderPowerReligionRomansThreatViolenceWorship
Theodosius had a plan. He wanted all the people of his empire to worship the one true God revealed in the Bible. A noble endeavor, for sure. But there was one fatal flaw in the emperor’s strategy:
Those he couldn’t lead to Jesus…he would send to Jesus!
- Capital PunishmentChristCondemnationCriminalFoolForgivenessGod's LoveGraceJesusLawPardonPoliticiansRobberySalvationSinSteal
In December of 1829, James Porter and George Wilson robbed several postal shipments and terrorized various mail carriers in their rampage for loot. Unfortunately for them, they were soon caught, tried, and condemned to hang for their crimes. Porter was hanged on schedule; Wilson was given a presidential pardon.
But he was hanged for his crimes, nonetheless.
- AbuseChildrenChristiansChurchCompassionGraceGuiltyHelpJesusJudgingKidsMomProstituteSelf-ImageSexual ImmoralitySexual Sin
Ask church people about their image in the community and they’re likely to reference “hospitals for the sick” or “lighthouses for lost.” Let’s face it; that’s how we like to see ourselves.
But one prostitute in Chicago has a completely different take on Christians and the Church.