In the Civil War, canons played a huge role in deciding the outcome of battles, and thus, the war itself. Each canon required up to eight men to operate and six…
- AtheismBeliefsBibleEternal LifeEvangelismEvangelistFaithGiftsGod's WordGospelGreat CommissionQuestionsResponsibility
Penn Jillette is half of the world-famous magical act known as Penn and Teller. In addition to being a super talented performer, he’s also an outspoken atheist. But that didn’t stop a fan from giving him a Bible after a show one night.
And the atheist’s response to the gift should be an encouragement to every believer.
The old saying, “Blood is thicker than water,” is true in more ways than one. It illustrates just how powerful the bond between family can be. When family members care for one another the way God intended, it can be a sight to behold.
Just asking Jesse Jackson.
- AssumptionAttitudeCharles SpurgeonConversionDoubtExpectationsFaithGod's PowerLessonPreacherPreachingResponsibilitySalvationStudentWorship
When you’re in God’s presence, do you expect great things from Him? Do you believe He will do what only He can do? Or has doubt caused you to lose your sense of wonder and anticipation? If so, you’re not alone.
Evidently, it happens to pastors, too.
- AlcoholBad DecisionsCharacterDeathDutyHistoryLazinessMurderPolicePoliticiansReputationResponsibilityWork
In Colossians 3:23, the Apostle Paul writes, “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.” How different would our world look if we actually took that advice to heart?
For starters, Abraham Lincoln would not have been assassinated by John Wilkes Booth.
- AccountabilityDiscriminationExcusesExerciseHealthPeer PressureResponsibilityRulesSelf-DisciplineSelf-ImageStandardsWomen
Throughout history, discrimination has struck many different groups; people from the “wrong” race, religion, age bracket, and gender have felt its sting. Of course, unattractive people and overweight people have also been shunned from time to time.
But now, it’s skinny people that are being discriminated against…by gyms!
- BabyChildrenDiaperExcitementFatherLazinessLost in TranslationMisunderstandingParentingParentsResponsibility
John and Lisa were beside themselves with delight when they brought home their first child from the hospital. Little Katy was full of smiles and lovable grunts, and her parents ate it up.
Of course, Katy would come with responsibilities, too.
- AccidentApathyCallingChinaChristiansDeathEvangelismGreat CommissionGreedLazinessMissionsMoneyPastorPreacherPreachingRescueResponsibility
At a pastor’s conference in Scotland in 1865, Hudson Taylor, the mighty missionary to China, was given the opportunity to address 2,000 pastors about his work. Sadly, many churches in Europe couldn’t have been less concerned about the millions of Chinese people dying apart from Christ on a monthly basis.
But then, Hudson Taylor opened his sermon with this story….
Dylan wasn’t getting good grades. Maybe it was his short attention span. Maybe it was because he wasn’t the sharpest tool in the shed. Maybe it was a combination of the two. Regardless, his grades didn’t float; they weren’t above “C level.”
During training exercises, a young lieutenant was driving his jeep down a muddy back road when he saw another jeep stuck helplessly in the mud, with a highly irritated colonel sitting behind the wheel.
Hoping to help his commanding officer, the lieutenant wheeled up to the colonel and asked, “Your jeep stuck, sir?”