Every sinner who is saved is saved by the grace of God. No one can earn salvation because no one has done anything to deserve salvation! When Rev. Alistair Begg,…
- ConsequencesDisobedienceEternal LifeEternityForgivenessGod's WillGood NewsGospelGraceMercyPerfectRighteousnessSalvationSinSinful NatureWorks
Millions of people – perhaps billions – believe they can win God’s approval and earn eternal life by “being good” – even if they’ve “been bad” in the past. Their…
- Christ's ExampleCompassionConvictionsCriminalDeathEnemyEscapeHelpKindnessMartyrMercyPersecutionPrisonRescueSaveTorture
Dirk Willems was arrested in his hometown of Asperen, Netherlands in 1569. His crime – choosing to be re-baptized as a devoted follower of Christ and hosting worship services in his home – was completely unacceptable to the religious and governmental leaders of his day. The young Dutchman was carted off to a palace that had been converted into a prison to stand trial alongside other religious “troublemakers.”
- CareCompassionEnemyExecutionForgivenessFriendsGuiltyHelpHistoryKindnessLife SaverLife-SavingMercyPardonSalvationTreasonTroubleWar
An outspoken Patriot, Michael Widman hated the British with a passion. However, the Revolutionary War era tavern owner would find himself accused of treason against America and be sentenced to death.
One man would step forward to help…but Widman hated him even more than the Redcoats.
- CompassionConsequencesDeathEvilExecutionGod (Nature Of)GraceInjusticeKillLoveMercyMistakeMurder
Look, we’ve all dozed off during meetings here and there. It’s just a liability of being human. We’ve probably fallen asleep in class and even in church, too. No biggie, just a bit embarrassing.
But falling asleep during a meeting in North Korea has huge consequences. It can get you killed.
- C. S. LewisConfessionConversionGod's LoveGraceJesusLoveMercyProdigalProdigalReasonRepentSalvationSavedTestimonyTransformation
Do you remember your conversion experience – the moment you realized your need of a Savior and committed your life to Him? Were you in a church? At a spiritual retreat? Among close friends? Were you overjoyed? Grateful? At peace?
Regardless of the circumstances, your conversion was probably nothing like that of C. S. Lewis.
- BibleChristiansForgivenessGod's WordGraceJesus' TeachingJudgingMercyParablePerfectSelf-RighteousStories
In Revelation 22:18-19, the Apostle John gives a stern warning about changing his writings; it’s the “go-to” passage about altering God’s Word. Though preaching professor Dr. Fred Craddock was familiar with this passage, it still didn’t stop him from “tweaking” one of Jesus’ stories to make a point.
It proved to be a memorable experience….
In 1940, Langdon Gilkey, equipped only with a degree in philosophy from Harvard, went to China to teach English at Yenching University. Three short years later, he was taken prisoner when the Japanese Army came crashing into the city.
His confinement taught him a powerful lesson: fellow prisoners could be less merciful than the enemy.
- AfricaCivil WarForgivenessGenocideGraceKillMercyMurderPeaceReconciliationTestimonyViolenceWar
How would you respond if someone asked you to describe reconciliation? What sort of picture would you paint? Would you talk about forgiveness? Granting pardon? Showing mercy after wrongs were committed?
Or would you just point to these pictures taken in Africa?
- BeliefsChristianityChristiansChurchEmperorFree WillGod's WillGovernmentGraceHistoryJudgmentKillLoveMercyMurderPowerReligionRomansThreatViolenceWorship
Theodosius had a plan. He wanted all the people of his empire to worship the one true God revealed in the Bible. A noble endeavor, for sure. But there was one fatal flaw in the emperor’s strategy:
Those he couldn’t lead to Jesus…he would send to Jesus!