Henry blew his wife a kiss and walked out the door. The elderly man was running out to pick up a few items from the grocery store for dinner that…
- AmericaBibleFreedomGod's WordGovernmentHistoryIgnoranceIndependenceInterpretationLost in TranslationMistakeMisunderstandingPoliticsSocial MediaStupidity
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
The Declaration of Independence is easily the most well-known document in American history, right?
Not so fast….
- AssumptionBad NewsDefeatDespairEasterHopeHopelessLifeMiscommunicationMisunderstandingVictoryWar
In the summer of 1815, Europe’s eyes were fixed on the small town of Waterloo in what is now modern-day Belgium. There, an English and Prussian coalition bravely faced the army of Napoleon Bonaparte, a Frenchman who’d brought war to the entire continent.
The English were eagerly waiting for battlefield news…but they didn’t like what they were hearing.
- AppearanceBoysChoicesDatingDecision-MakingGirlsInterpretationLifestyleLost in TranslationMisunderstandingParentingParentsRelationshipTeens
As promised, Jessica brought her new boyfriend, Dylan, by the house to meet her parents on Friday evening. When they opened the front door, mom and dad weren’t exactly thrilled by the young man standing on their doorstep.
- ChristiansChurchConfusedEnemyFearGod's WillGreat CommissionMilitaryMissionsMisunderstandingPersecutionSacrificialSatanSoldierSuffering
The Church and the military have a lot in common. Both involve large groups of people. Both have missions. Both exist for the benefit of others. Both require personal sacrifice.
But they also have one very remarkable difference.
- AngerChildrenChurchGod (Nature Of)HappinessJoyKidsMisunderstandingMomPatienceTraditionWorship
Church can be a place that’s filled with distractions: cell phones with annoying ring tones, old people who cough loudly (and unceasingly), and of course, babies that cry. But what about a kid who’s smiling? Is that a disruption to worship?
In one church, evidently so.
Christianity seems strange to those who stand outside its number, partly because of the bold claims it makes about the most important facets of life. This reality isn’t restricted to our modern era; for almost 2,000 years, Christianity’s claims and practices have been misunderstood.
The misunderstandings begin with what Christianity is even called.
- AccidentBad NewsDeathEasterFatherGood NewsGriefIdentityLifeMistakeMisunderstandingMomParentsResurrectionSoldierSonSurpriseWar
It’s the phone call no parent wants to receive. Ever. But on Thursday, February 28, 1991, Cecil and Ruth were both informed that their son, PFC. Clayton Carpenter, was killed in action in the Persian Gulf War. In an instant, their lives were changed.
Until the phone rang again.
Everybody knows that in baseball you get three strikes…and then you’re out. Not 1. Not 4. It’s such a universal rule that most parents and teachers (and even bosses) use it in their respective roles. Getting “three” strikes is the last hope a nervous batter has after accumulating two.
Unless that batter is Chris Stewart of the New York Yankees….